The White House congressional picnic was held this week, and the charcoal of choice was discovered to be Lazzari Mesquite Charcoal, a “product of Mexico.” With Independence Day coming up, barbeques will be burning all across the nation.
If you want to surpass the President in your zeal for American-made products at your cook-out, here are the brands you need. These aren’t just companies started in America, but products still manufactured in the good ole’ U.S. of A. — just like President Trump wants.
• Instead of that “made in Mexico” stuff, White House staffers could instead have opted for Kingsford Charcoal, which was founded in Michigan almost 100 years ago and now has a manufacturing plant in West Virginia.
• Many Americans don’t pay much attention to where their grills are made — just fire up the meat! But popular brands like Broil King, Broil-Mate and one branch of Huntington grills manufacture some of their grills in Canada. Even Weber, another popular brand of grills, makes some of their Spirit gas grills in China. Wilmington grills, on the other hand, are made in North Carolina.
Get outside and enjoy these street fairs, BBQ bashes this spring
• If you’re into hot dogs, Sabrett and Nathans are both New York area classics, with processing locations in the Bronx and Jericho, N.Y., respectively. Hillshire Brands, which also owns Ball Park Franks, is also American born and boiled.
• It’s always a gamble to eat a stranger’s potato salad — and how long has it been sitting in the sun? — but everyone knows you get your potatoes from Idaho. America is one of the top producers of potatoes, but recently, China overtook us in potato production. So look for potatoes farmed in Washington or Idaho, they’re our national leaders in potato growing.
• Skip those imported beers like Heineken and Guinness, stick to Yuengling, Miller or Sam Adams — created in America, manufactured in America and named after a Founding Father. You just can’t get much more American than that.
• And that ketchup? Heinz, is the family business for Teresa Heinz, wife of former Senator and Secretary of State John Kerry. We know it’s definitely American made. The plant is based in Ohio. Hunt’s and Del Monte are also local choices.